How to Support Neurological HealthMelissa Dugan
Right now, seemingly more than ever before, we are deeply concerned and conscientious about all aspects of our health. COVID-19 has truly impacted the way we see the world and our day-to-day habits. Staying well and keeping our family healthy has never been more important. Head to toe, many of us are increasingly eager to learn new ways to improve our overall wellness. As we shift our routines to accommodate staying home to stay safe, now is the perfect time to learn ways in which we can promote wellness naturally – from the comfort of our own homes. Delving into these topics can help reduce the risk of getting sick, while also aiding in our ability to identify the telltale signs of illness early.
When it comes to a topic as serious as neurological health, there are many things to learn and consider. We will discuss what neurological health is and natural ways you can support your own neurological health. All of the information provided is for your reference and overall knowledge base, but it is important to remember that, if you have any concerns about your neurological health, it is best to consult your physician to seek medical advice.
What Is the Neurological System?
The human body is very complex. It is fascinating how many different components work in harmony beneath the surface to maintain our physical and emotional health. Our neurological system plays a very important role in our overall functions, as it serves as the primary contributor to our sensory, integrative, and motor functions. We will discuss these in further detail shortly.
The neurological system is most often referred to as the “nervous system.“ It consists of the brain, spinal cord, and a complex collection of nerves, tissues, and specialized cells that control and regulate the overall communication system of the body. Put simply, it sends signals through the body that impact thought, learning, memory, and movement.
On a regular basis, you can see the nervous system at work as it supports these three symbiotic functions:
- Sensory: This function is a conscious or unconscious awareness of stimuli or any change that sends a signal to the brain. As the name implies, this can often be observed using your senses. Smell, taste, touch, sight, and sound all contribute to our sensory responses.
- Integrative: This system simply integrates the signals, called nerve impulses, that are brought together to create a physical response. Essentially, it helps the sensation or feeling turn into an action.
- Motor: Motor functions are the direct translation of neurons in the brain to the initiation of voluntary movement. The brain contains numerous microscopic pathways that serve as a control center to all precise bodily movements. Casually, people know “motor skills“ by two main categories: Gross and fine motor skills.
- Gross motor skills include large movements and gestures, like walking, running, jumping, and other large movements.
- Fine motor skills refer to smaller, more precise actions which tend to utilize coordination. A few examples include writing, playing a musical instrument, grasping small items, and other small movements that utilize dexterity.
It is helpful to have a general knowledge of these fascinating overlapping functions, as they aid in the overall understanding of your nervous system. This insight can also help you identify which activities engage and strengthen these vital functions.
Healthy Habits You Can Start Now
Because the neurological system is elaborate, the above information is a bit complex. Thankfully, there are numerous healthy behaviors you can implement on a daily basis that can support your neurological health simply. While learning the inner workings of your system can be fascinating, the fact that you can incorporate a few simple behaviors into your routine to influence this complex system is arguably even more interesting. Here are a few things you can start doing to support your neurological health:
- Eat well. The food you eat doesn’t just satisfy a craving; you are feeding your body and your brain with everything you consume. Eating a balanced diet provides the body and the brain the appropriate essential fatty acids, amino acids, and vitamins and minerals it needs to function optimally. A balanced diet generally contains:
- At least five servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, spinach, and beans, for example, are all high in antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect cells in the brain and body from damage.
- Healthy carbohydrates from foods like potatoes, brown rice, and whole-wheat bread. These complex carbs provide slow-release energy, helping the body and brain’s stable functioning.
- Healthy proteins found in eggs, almonds, chicken breast, broccoli, and more. These foods are not only good for your entire body, but they support healthy brain activity and may reduce your risk of neurological deterioration.
- Limit your salt, sugar, and alcohol intake. While these tend to be “guilty-pleasure” foods or beverages, they, unfortunately, contribute to many health complications and are generally bad for our bodies and brains. Being more conscientious about your intake of salty food, sugary foods and drinks, and alcoholic beverages can drastically improve your overall health and functioning.
- Exercise regularly. Surprisingly, exercising your body is important in keeping your brain and nervous system healthy as well. Physical activity stimulates blood flow to the brain, supporting cognitive awareness and potentially improving your overall mood.
- Sleep well. Achieving a healthy, restful sleep is rejuvenating to your entire body. Lack of sleep increases feelings of fatigue and negatively impacts your mental acuity. Consider following a consistent sleep schedule, or incorporating an all-natural product containing melatonin to aid in your sleep routine.
- Challenge your mind. Finding ways to engage and even challenge your brain is an excellent way to support your neurological health. Utilizing fine motor skills to draw, do puzzles, sew, and other engaging activities helps keep the brain sharp and creates new, healthy pathways in the brain.
Pharmstrong™ – Supporting Your Overall Wellness
At Pharmstrong™, we are much more than providers of top-notch CBD products. At our core, we are passionate about promoting true wellness – head to toe, inside and out. Our family-owned brand is known for crafting cutting-edge Verified Pure Premium Grade™ CBD products and highly-revered CBD Kits, but everything we do is with you and your health and vitality in mind. We hope that this excellent information can keep our family of customers well-informed. We also hope our unparalleled CBD can promote a sense of emotional peace and harmony in these challenging times. If you have any questions about how our tried-and-true CBD products can support your overall wellness, contact us today! We are here for you. Stay well, stay PharmSTRONG™.