Does Quality Matter with CBD?
Have you noticed CBD products popping up seemingly everywhere in the past couple of years? It is nearly impossible to go through your day without seeing an advertisement for CBD products online, on a billboard or storefront as you commute to work, or as you run your daily errands. It is not uncommon either to find CBD products, in various forms, in places like gas stations, coffee shops, vape stores, and more. This has left many or us wondering: What exactly is CBD and why has it suddenly become so popular? And is all CBD created equal? Just like with so many other trending products, there is the “real deal” and then there is the cheap knock off, so-to-speak. Therefore, it is definitely worth while to do your CBD homework. At Pharmstrong™, we are intimately familiar with all aspects of CBD and its production and, therefore, truly know what constitutes a quality product. We’ve done the research for you and gladly share our findings with you.
Let’s dive in.
When Did CBD Become So Popular?
First, many people are curious about the sudden explosion of CBD onto the health and wellness scene. Why the sudden increase in popularity? The short answer is the passage of the Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018, better known as the 2018 “Farm Bill.” This bill legalized all hemp-derived products containing .3% THC or less. Prior to December 2018, the industrial uses of hemp – for paper, plastic, and biofuel, to name a few – were well known, and it’s wellness properties were garnering the attention of the scientific and medical communities. However, hemp was unfairly categorized as a Schedule I substance. Since the passage of the 2018 Farm Bill, hemp has fortunately reclaimed its good reputation as a very useful, versatile, and beneficial plant. And with that, the headline making component of hemp, known as cannabidiol (CBD for short), has gained quite the reputation as it is:
- Extracted from the hemp variety of the cannabis plant
- One of over 100 cannabinoids (beneficial molecules similar to the body’s endogenous endocannabinoids) found in the hemp plant
- Safe to ingest, non-addictive, and will not get you “high”
- Highly effective and very versatile in its uses
- Easy to incorporate into any lifestyle
As mentioned above, CBD has become quite trendy this past year. But at Pharmstrong™, we have a sneaking suspicion that this “trend” will be here to stay, as CBD is actually living up to all the hype.
Does Quality Really Matter?
Simply put – yes. It’s not always necessary
for every item you use in day-to-day
life to be “name brand” or “top of the line.” But when it comes to products in
the health and wellness category – those you ingest or use topically on a
regular basis – that is an entirely different story. With these types of
products, quality absolutely matters, and CBD products are no exception.
As we mentioned earlier, not all products are created equal. Some things may be inherently healthy, such as many fruits and vegetables. However, how they are grown and processed certainly matter – a lot. If they are grown in nutrient deficient/depleted soils and sprayed with pesticides, something that was potentially very nutritious and beneficial to the body is now not nearly as healthy. The same goes for CBD. The soil the hemp is grown in, the way it’s processed, the ingredients used, and so on – it all matters. If a company takes something healthy and turns it into an unrecognizable product, void of all it’s nutrients, what good is it? A reputable company, on the other hand, will take special care to preserve the goodness and effectiveness of their product(s) every step of the way.
So, with CBD seemingly popping up on every street corner and all over the internet, how do you get a CBD product that’s as healthy and natural as it claims to be? We help break it down in the next section. Read on.
How to Spot a Quality CBD Product
How the ingredients are grown and processed, as well as what other ingredients are included in (or excluded from) the final product, and who sells the product, should all be taken into consideration when purchasing a CBD product. It’s not enough to simply trust the claims on the label or fall for the pretty packaging. Remember, don’t judge a book by its cover.
This is not an exhaustive checklist, but we recommend looking for the following before choosing a CBD product:
- Grown in the USA with Meticulous Farming Practices – The origin of your product, as well as the farming practices used to produce it, should always be disclosed. Additionally, keep in mind that CBD products originating from Colorado, in particular, are widely known for their superior quality.
- Verified Pure Premium Grade™ – This label is a recognition of product quality and purity, and a sign that a company goes above and beyond to ensure these two very important qualities.
- Quality Ingredients – A product is only as good as the sum of its ingredients. Pay attention to what is included in your product and make sure the active ingredient is not mixed with or cut with subpar additives. Combining CBD with simple, quality ingredients such as organic olive oil, beeswax, and essential oils is ideal (compared to artificial fragrances, flavors, etc).
- Lab Testing – This is potentially the most important, as labs verify that what a company claims is in the bottle, is actually in the bottle. No guessing about the ingredients. No guessing about the CBD levels. And just as important as what is in the product is what is not present. The only way to verify the absence ofharsh chemicals (pesticides, solvents) & contaminants (mold, heavy metals, etc.) is through 3rd party lab testing. Additionally, the lab results should always be available to the customer – either clearly shown on the website, or accessible through scanning the QR code or entering the unique batch number on the product.
- Farm Bill Compliant – In order to be legal in all states and compliant with the 2018 Farm Bill, CBD products must be hemp-derived and contain 0.3% or less THC.
- Company Transparency – A trustworthy company will make themselves readily available to their customers and be open and honest about the creation of their products from seed to bottle. Should customers have any questions about a product (or the processes used to create it) or need assistance placing an order or selecting the right product for their individualized needs, the company’s contact info should be easily accessible.
- Hassle-free Return Policy – Along the same lines, a reputable company – one that is confident in the quality and performance of their products – will generally have a clearly outlined return policy and offer a money back guarantee. It gives customers the peace of mind of knowing that if, for any reason, they are unhappy with a product, they have not simply wasted their hard earned money.
A respected company should be completely transparent about the quality and production of their products and candidly share that info with you, the valued customer. At Pharmstrong™, we are proud to report that our Colorado based company meets every one of the above requirements and that our commitment to quality, and belief in the effectiveness of our Pure + Potent products, is unwavering. You can conveniently shop our premium-grade, broad-spectrum products online any time. However, if you are in the Breckenridge, CO area, we would delight in the chance to answer your CBD questions in person and have you try some of our top-notch products from our one-of-a-kind sample bar.