Brain Food and Health at HomeMelissa Dugan
It’s no secret that most of our time is being spent at home lately. We may have to get used to this “new normal” for a while longer, as COVID-19 is still prevalent across the nation. For many, this means continuing to work from home, home-schooling, and cooking most of our own meals.
This unique climate is impacting everyone differently, but there are a few recurring themes that individuals are reporting. For example, people may feel like they are going “stir crazy” to be at home all the time. Also, with limited out-of-the-house activities, many people feel they are overall less healthy and active.
Thankfully, a few small habit shifts can help modify your everyday at-home routine to support a healthy mind and body. You can feed your brain, support your immune system, and improve your overall wellness by consuming some nutrient-packed foods and incorporating intentional intervals of exercise each week.
What Is “Brain Food?”
Because the brain is such an energy-intensive organ, it actually uses about 20% of the body’s calorie intake. Consuming brain-supporting foods can have a positive impact on your overall health and influence the brain’s long-term and short-term functioning.
Some foods are more vital to the brain than others. For instance:
- Foods containing healthy omega-3 fatty acids help build, maintain, and repair brain cells.
- Foods high in important antioxidants maintain healthy brain chemistry, reducing the risk and prevalence of cellular abnormalities.
- Foods dense with beneficial vitamins, like Vitamin E, are linked to improved cognition and brain health.
There are many ways to feed your brain with foods that are both delicious and nutritious. Some “brain foods” may surprise you, because such a wide array of foods contain brain-supporting nutrients, including:
- Dark Chocolate – A treat for the senses and a pick-me-up for your brain, dark chocolate has the potential to encourage neuron and blood vessel growth. Dark chocolate is considered an effective “brain food” because it contains cacao, an ingredient that contains flavonoids, a form of antioxidants. Researchers recommend consuming dark chocolate with at least 70% cacao to reap the maximum benefits of this indulgent, brain supporting treat.
- Fresh Berries – Similar to delicious dark chocolate, several types of berries contain antioxidants in the form of flavonoids. These antioxidants are capable of impacting overall brain health in many ways, including improving overall communication between brain cells; increasing brain plasticity, which encourages new connections to be made and for memory function to improve; and much more. Blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, and black currants are amongst the healthiest berries for the brain.
- Coffee – While technically not a food, this popular beverage is something many people drink daily for a pick-me-up. In addition to being a tasty morning habit, coffee is linked to overall improved cognitive functioning, memory support, and increasing the brain’s ability to process information. These benefits are attributed to the many antioxidants featured in a single cup of coffee! A few important notes, though: Beware of putting too much sugar or other additives into your coffee and of drinking it too late in the day. Excess sugar and caffeine consumption can impact your ability to sleep at night, and sleep is also important for a healthy brain and body.
- Avocados – This excellent source of healthy unsaturated fat helps feed the brain and may lower the risk of high blood pressure. High blood pressure is closely linked to cognitive decline and the reduction of general brain functioning, including memory and concentration. Because avocados are an acquired taste, it’s okay if you don’t love them! Some other foods featuring healthy unsaturated fats include fish, walnuts, almonds, flaxseed, soybeans, cashews, and Brazil nuts.
- Whole grains – Foods rich in whole grains provide the brain and body numerous benefits, including the aiding in the absorption of essential vitamin E. Some vitamin E-dense whole grain options include: whole grain bread, brown rice, bulgar wheat, whole grain pasta, and oatmeal.
If you intentionally add one (or many) of these healthy, brain-supporting foods into your regular routine, you will find yourself with a sharper, more agile brain. Consequently, a healthier brain is linked to improved coping skills, better stress-management ability, better sleep, and an overall happier demeanor. These compounding benefits can make a palpable difference, especially now, when staying home more often creates an added strain to your typical routine.
Eating healthy, and taking part in at least 30 minutes of physical activity each day, are linked to overall better health – mind and body. Your immune system will be strengthened, you will feel more alert, and you will develop more physical and emotional resilience.
Pharmstrong™ – Promoting Healthy Lifestyles
At Pharmstrong™, we may be known for selling some of the nation’s most Pure + Potent, Verified Pure Premium Grade™ CBD wellness products, but we are also dedicated to providing information to benefit your everyday health and wellness.
In these challenging times, we are in this together. We are committed to providing useful everyday wellness tips to help you maximize your time at home so you can emerge from this pandemic healthy and happy.
If you are seeking a holistic wellness product to complement your daily routine, visit our website. We have a variety of options to fit into your lifestyle! Our products are known for:
- Naturally helping customers feel relaxed
- Enhancing one’s peace of mind
- Supporting a healthy sleep routine
- Helping the body feel less fatigued
- Elevating one’s daily skincare ritual
- Alleviating discomfort due to overworked or aging joints
- & more!
We even offer wellness supporting products like CBD Multivitamin Gummy Drops, which contain our unparalleled broad-spectrum CBD combined with several beneficial vitamins and minerals to help your daily immunity. Our wide inventory is full of other THC-free, wellness-evoking products, too, including individual products and convenient CBD Kits!
At Pharmstrong™, we offer three easy ways to shop for your favorite wellness products. You can:
- Shop online by browsing our user-friendly website.
- Call us, and place your order over the phone.
- Visit us in person at our Breckenridge, Colorado shop, where you can meet our knowledgeable CBD professionals and try our CBD Sample Bar.
We hope to see you soon! Stay well!