4 Habits to Keep Your Brain in Peak ConditionMelissa Dugan
Having a sharp, nimble mind is important at nearly every age. For those of us in our prime, it’s common to become more observant of lapses in memory – like forgetting where you left your keys or struggling to remember someone’s birthday. Fortunately, one of the most common misconceptions is that aging naturally deteriorates the brain. While mental agility can be compromised as a side effect of other health conditions, simply “getting older” is not one of them. At any age, you can implement habits that can, in essence, engage your brain in strengthening “workouts,” resulting in sharper mental acuity.
Especially now, in the wake of COVID-19, as many of us are spending most of our time at home, these four habits are excellent ways to maintain optimal health and keep the brain in peak condition. Though updating our daily routines in order to stay healthy may be a unique challenge, setting goals and using this time to focus on self-improvement is a great way to stay positive and emerge from these trying times with strength and resilience.
1. Update Your Shopping List
What we choose to consume on a daily basis can greatly contribute to how we feel and how agile we are, mind and body. Making a few simple changes to your typical grocery list can encourage overall healthy eating habits and have a positive impact on your body. For example:
- Eat more fruits and veggies. Research has shown that individuals who eat diets higher in fresh vegetables and fruit are less susceptible to mental “wear and tear,” as the nutrient-rich foods literally feed your brain with healthy antioxidants. The US Department of Agriculture recommends that individuals over 30 consume 2-3 cups of vegetables per day and 1-2 cups of fruit per day.
- Drink plenty of water. Because water accounts for 75% of your brain’s mass, staying properly hydrated improves blood flow and oxygen to the brain. Drinking water also improves one’s overall concentration and cognitive abilities.
- Limit your intake of alcoholic beverages. Consuming alcohol can limit your cognitive functioning, impair one’s memory, and block chemical signals between brain cells.
- Consume more healthy fats. Numerous studies indicate that diets containing healthy fats, such as olive oil, avocados, certain fish, and other omega-3s can significantly impact brain health. Individuals who follow diets like the Mediterranian diet, which is high in olive oil, have a lower risk of cognitive impairment in general.
2. Never Stop Learning
With over 100 million neurons, the brain has seemingly limitless potential. As we engage our brains daily, we often only tap into a small fraction of our cognitive potential. But why? For most people, getting older and falling into a comfortable daily routine sometimes means we fail to engage the brain in new, challenging activities and endeavors. Intentionally engaging the brain allows for new connections and pathways to be made, enhancing your overall cognitive functioning. Some ways to engage your brain are:
- Try activities outside of your comfort zone. Engage your mind by challenging yourself to new experiences. Take time to learn chess, complete a complex jigsaw puzzle, or learn a new sport. When engaging in activities within our comfort zone, we can do so on mental “auto-pilot” so-to-speak, because our muscle memory kicks in. Trying new things helps the brain make new connections and improves your overall cognitive functioning.
- Play games. Research shows that individuals 50 and older who engage in word games or number puzzles have overall better memory and brain functioning, including attention and reasoning
- Take classes. No matter your age, you can probably find a free online class to pique your interest. Taking classes and immersing yourself in a learning environment can bolster your overall cognitive capacity and functioning.
- Read more. Reading engages multiple brain functions simultaneously. It can increase your memory, your overall processing abilities, and help you maintain concentration more effectively.
3. Stay Active
The mind and body have a much more intimate connection than most people realize. Staying active engages the brain, releases endorphins, and contributes greatly to brain health and resilience. There are many ways a healthy body contributes to a robust, thriving brain. Here are a few activity suggestions which can benefit your brain health.
- Incorporate more cardio workouts into your routine. Simply jogging, walking at an increased speed, or participating in activities that get your blood pumping can positively impact your brain. Just twenty minutes of physical activity per day can increase blood flow and benefit brain cells. Research also suggests that increased cardio exercises can reduce the risk of dementia in some individuals.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Research links obesity to an increased risk for dementia and other health conditions. Stored fat cells, particularly in middle-aged individuals and older, cause inflammation to the brain. Maintaining a healthy weight can help you minimize your risk for dementia and maintain your overall health.
4.Give Your Brain a Break
We have already covered the importance of actively engaging your brain, learning new things, and challenging your mind; however, it is equally important to allow your brain to unwind and disengage occasionally, too. Stress, and feeling overwhelmed or overworked, can hinder brain function and limit your memory and your ability to learn or retain information. One can reap numerous benefits by quieting the mind and embracing a sense of clarity. This can be achieved in many ways, which include:
- Practice meditation. Individuals who meditate regularly have improved attention, stress management, willpower, and awareness. The practice of meditation can impact the capabilities and physical composition of the brain. Research shows measurable changes can occur within 8 weeks of practicing meditation regularly.
- Avoid stress. While most people dislike stress for obvious reasons, there’s even more incentive to avoid emotional restlessness – stress can impair brain function in numerous ways.
- Maintain a healthy sleep schedule. Sleep helps recharge the mind and body, and insufficient sleep impacts the brain’s ability to communicate properly, impacting memory and other vital processes.
- Utilize all-natural, calmness-evoking solutions.
- Use products containing natural essential oils, like lavender or eucalyptus, to evoke a sense of calmness as you breathe in deeply. You can also use an oil diffuser to fill your room with a relaxing scent.
- Drink chamomile tea before bed. Chamomile is known to encourage a sense of relaxation.
- Consider incorporating a pure, high-quality CBD product into your routine. CBD, short for cannabidiol, is the all-natural, hemp-derived ingredient known to work harmoniously with the body to evoke a sense of clarity and balance. Many individuals turn to CBD as a holistic wellness option, as it is safe to use daily and non-addictive.
Pharmstrong™- Pure + Potent CBD
In these uncertain times, it is more important than ever to maintain healthy habits to keep yourself and your family well. If you choose to keep your brain in peak condition by incorporating CBD into your routine, it’s important to choose a brand with a passion for quality. At Pharmstrong™, we are leaders in the industry with our top-of-the-line, cutting-edge CBD products. Our Verified Pure Premium Grade™ CBD comes from organically-grown hemp sown in the nutrient-rich soils of Colorado. We utilize rigorous, detail-oriented farming methods to ensure the highest quality plants are grown and harvested. Then, we utilize a scientifically-advanced proprietary process to preserve every beneficial compound in the plant. Finally, we eliminate every unwanted ingredient – including THC – resulting in a Pure + Potent finished product. We also test our products using a third-party lab for quality assurance, so you never have to question if what’s in the bottle matches the label.
Pharmstrong™ offers numerous fast-acting, long-lasting CBD products to fit any lifestyle. We also offer convenient CBD Kits, including the Pharmstrong™ Calm Kit, which pairs two relaxation-evoking CBD products at a discounted rate – plus free shipping! We want to make your CBD experience pleasant and convenient. You can:
- Order online 24/7 (and enjoy free shipping on orders over $75!)
- Place your order over the phone by calling 866-399-5371
- Visit us in our Breckenridge, Colorado store, where you can also try our one-of-a-kind CBD Sample Bar! We even have CBD dog treats for your four-legged companion!
A healthy mind and a sharp, nimble brain can be achieved with just a few intentional behavior changes. Pharmstrong’s™ CBD promotes emotional balance and agility naturally, and it is a great addition to one’s daily wellness routine. Contact us today to join the Pharmstrong™ family and reap the many benefits of high-quality CBD!